TERUMO LIFE SCIENCE FOUNDATION
2023 R&D Subsidies (Overseas) Application Information
The TERUMO LIFE SCIENCE FOUNDATION provides subsidies that support research and development programs in the medical, public health and other fields with high contribution to the area to support the development of scientific technology in the field of life science in developing countries.
- Subsidy Amount/ Period: Up to 3million yen/1year
- Number of Subsidies: Approx. three subsidies are available
2. Requisites for the Applicant/Application
The applicant must be a researcher belonging to a university, a hospital or a public research institution in a developing country. The applicant may be of any nationality.
The following will not be eligible for application:
- Researchers currently receiving R&D subsidies from us
- Researchers belonging to for-profit organizations such as private companies
- Joint R&D with private companies, but it is acceptable to start a Joint R&D with private companies after the end of this subsidy period
- Testing for licensing and approval (manufacturing approval, sales approval, etc.) and testing for sales promotion
- Applicants who are unable to transfer money from our bank account due to regulations in relation to economic sanctions listed in the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)(*2) as well as the regulations stipulated in Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act of Japan (*1).
For further information, please refer to the website of the Ministry of Finance, Japan
For further information about OFAC, please refer to the website of the U.S. Department
The recommender shall be the head of the research institution to which the applicant belongs, limited to one applicant per recommender.
How to apply:
Fill out the application form below. The application must be in English or Japanese. When filling out the application form in Japanese, only the R&D theme must be written in both in Japanese and English.
How to submit:
Send the application form with an electronic MS-Word file (whole pages) in addition the recommender's signature page in PDF (first page) by e-mail.
May 1 to August 31, 2023 (JST)
The application form must include contact information in Japan. (For example, that of a joint researcher of research institution or medical institution in Japan. We may contact them as necessary.)
Selections shall be made in a professional and academic manner by evaluating the contents such as the extent of contributions to society, originality, novelty, goals, and plans, in terms of research and development.
Subsidy programs are chosen by the Selection Committee, with the Board of Directors making the final decision.
6. Notice of adoption or rejection
December 2023 (notification shall be sent to the e-mail address indicated in the application form)
7. Granting of subsidy
January 2024 (lump-sum transfer to the designated bank account)
8. Obligation to Report
The implementation report and expenditure report must be submitted in the specified form within the end of March 2025.
The report must be in English or Japanese
9. Use of Subsidy / Period of Use
The subsidy shall be used for expenses directly required by the program.
The subsidy will not cover indirect expenses (overhead expenses etc.).
The subsidy will not cover personnel expenses of applicants and joint R&D partners.
The subsidy will be used from the date of notification in “6. Notice of adoption or rejection” to the date of submission of the expenditure report in “8. Obligation to Report”
The personal information of the applicant shall be used within the scope of executing our subsidy services.
The names, organizations and R&D project themes of the recipients of the subsidies written in the application form shall be announced on our homepage.
Details of selection process will not be disclosed. Moreover, submitted application documents will not be returned regardless of adoption or rejection.
The subsidy may be requested to cancel or return when the recipient of the subsidy makes a false declaration or report, when the research is discontinued, when the “Obligation to Report” is not performed.
Contact and address to send application
TERUMO LIFE SCIENCE FOUNDATION